Sunday, October 24, 2010

Shirley Valentine

Feeling Normal

S

o effing Frontierville is experiencing major issues. Every time I load the page, it tells me it's lost my internet connection.

*sigh*

Did I tell you that Frontierville is the only game I'm playing now? No more Farmville or CafeWorld or Mafia Wars.

Whatever.

Shirley Valentine DVDSo while I was wondering WTF I was going to do, a movie that I've seen in the past came on & I watched it again. It's called Shirley Valentine.

It's the story of a middle aged woman living her life in Great Britain. She's a housewife with 2 grown children and a husband. She gets through her days by talking to the wall.

THE WALL.

There's no one else to talk to. Her kids are out of the house & her husband... just isn't there to listen to her anymore.

Shirley's only friend wins an all expense paid trip to Greece for 2 weeks, and invites Shirley to go with her.

She does. :-)

I love this movie so much. I love that the 4th wall is broken constantly. I love that we are privy to Shirley's interior monologue while she's talking to The Wall or The Rock or whatever she's talking to.

I love the story.

As a soon to be middle aged woman, I can appreciate it so much more than I did in my twenties. I've tried not to be one of those women who lives only to take care of her children and/or husband. I don't think I am, but what will I do when Evan really moves out?

Will I ever leave the house? Will I ever go on a real "vacation"? Will I actually "live" the life that I have left?

That is what Shirley faces in the movie. When she finally gets to Greece, she realizes that with her kids grown & living their own lives, she really doesn't have anything to go back to at the end of the vacation.

The entire story is told with some flashbacks to the girl that Shirley used to be, and the young woman she used to be. She used to be sassy. She used to be daring. On her 2 week vacation, Shirley "gets her groove back" and wants to be Shirley Valentine (maiden name) again.

I think this is one of the few "chick flicks" that I actually like. If you happen to see it on your TV Schedule, you should definitely watch it or record it.

♥♥♥♥ out of 4. Put it in your Netflix queue!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about this movie. I was looking for something to watch tomorrow night. Sounds like just the kind of thing I need to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog