Thursday, September 10, 2009

I just started thinking about this today

Feeling Normal

I

was in the kitchen washing dishes when I heard a tide commercial.

As most black people & other minorities know, "They" (advertisers) don't normally show advertisements with "us" (black people) unless it is a black show. I think the show I was watching was Bonnie Hunt or something hosted by a white person or with a primarily white cast.
"I'm used to seeing black people in commercials on BET, but not necessarily NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox."
It always surprises & pleases me when I see a "black" commercial during shows that aren't aimed at "us". I'm used to seeing black people in commercials on BET, but not necessarily NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox. And by "black people" I mean more than one black person. More than a token, KWIM?

I'm not complaining. I'm just stating a fact.

It pleases me because I think "Well, maybe now "they" (advertisers) are realizing that we buy the same stuff white people do."

It's different when the commercial has a celebrity. So I'm not talking about Revlon or Cover Girl commercials (which seem to have a pretty diverse cast anyway), but regular stuff like laundry detergent, grocery stores, cars, etc.

There's one commercial for Wal-Mart that has a white man & a black woman TOGETHER. Like, married. *faint*

I totally forgot what I was going to say because I saw Russell Brand on The View this morning. He was flirting with Sherri Shephard & Whoopi asked him if he'd ever "had" a sister. He said "Yeah. Loads. It's different than in this country. In England we're all getting it on."

But anyway, to show you what I mean, here are 2 tide commercials. One aimed at "us" and one for the rest of y'all who aren't minority. :-)





BTW, if that song in the first commercial is a real song & not just for the commercial, let me know who does it. I like the song. That's one commercial I don't FF through just because I like the song.

Continue with your regularly scheduled lives now. :-)

----------------
Now playing: Mötley Crüe - Home Sweet Home

9 comments:

  1. See Girl, you stated the real and really only Black Folks Notice It. I agree, and I remarked the same thing a few months ago to my hubby while watching tv. we attributed it to President Obamas' election. apparently Black Folks / CONSUMERS were finally recognized in "The Change".

    we are no longer only in lysol and chicken commercials; we're doin tide and hopefully one day Orek Commercials (ok I'll watch my mouth) and if we get big, Cadillac. Oh Sorry I forgot the car co's in dtw always remembered who bought them "yachts".

    Have Mercy White Advertising Firms - did you finally discover our 88 Billion Dollars A Year of purchasing power ? (SMDH)

    Gon Witcha Badhand Ms. Angelika - You are turnin into a Real BadGal. I'mma have to watch you girl. (wink*wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re - I was trying to think if I ever noticed "our" commercials on the broadcast networks pre-Obama. I couldn't remember...

    WTF is Orek? The vacuum? HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!

    My dad was addicted to Cadillacs until my mother told him it was stupid to have a caddy & live in an apartment, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DG - Yes, LOL. His laundry detergent was not strong enough to get the skid marks out of his knickers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for educating us white folk on this. Honestly, I had never thought about it. What you said makes really good sense...and I know the WalMart commercial you're talking about. The first time I saw it, I commented to the kids that "it's about time"...and they didn't get what I meant. When we talked more about it, they said it never crossed their minds - they're so integrated with all sorts of friends, race doesn't even dawn on them.

    That's really cool. We'd never talked about it before - they know all their friends are welcome over here - so they invite kids over with and without my permission. lol I never gave it a thought...and I'm glad they haven't either.

    Back to the topic...now that I've watched 8 commercials in a row, you're exactly right. Every one of them was full of white people. It's an interesting topic. :)

    And about the skids? GROSS. I see enough of those in my boys undies. (But, for the record, never in the female undies of the house.) How's that for comparison??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Queen - Advertisements with mostly white people are just like products they sell for right handed people.

    The right handed people never have to think about it because it works for them. Unless you are left handed, you don't realize how few products are made for you.

    I don't think children are naturally race conscious, it's the parents who make them that way. It's a good thing that your kids never noticed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite this fact I think that should be make commercials with black people because it is the lack in our market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this odd - it's a total mishmash over here. All the commercials are a mixed bag of people .... not that I'm suggesting that you're a bag - tee hee heeeeee [hiding under the sofa now]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Atina - Any minority is not really represented in America. Indians/Persians are only used in convenience stores. Asians are only used at dry cleaners or Chinese Food restaurants. I honestly can't say where they use Latinos, and like RE said, Blacks are usually for Popeye's or Lyson.

    It's ridiculous.

    DP - I may be a bag, but I'm not yet an old bag, LOL.

    Maybe that's why I enjoy the British shows I see over here. Because there's never a feeling of "This is a white" show. Kudos to y'all across the pond! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog