Friday, February 27, 2009

Touchy Feely

T

his post was inspired by CardioGirl's Friday QOTD

"When you are with your friends, do your interactions include much touching — for example, hugging, kissing, roughhousing or rubbing backs? Would you like to have more of this?"

Short answer - No.

It reminded me of when I was pregnant with Evan.

I had been living in this apartment for 3 years and NEVER put anything on the walls. I drove to work with the radio on, only talked to co-workers and then went home and was silent too.

I started talking to him or singing with the radio because I thought "He won't even know what I sound like when he's born."

The DAY BEFORE I went to the hospital to have him induced (Due date was 1/7/96 but I needed the tax refund to be able to take 4 months off) I covered the walls with that marble contact paper & hung up some pictures. I also put his crib together. By myself. 9 mos pregnant. I used to kick ass, LOL.

Anyway, after he was born I talked to him like he was an adult. I would respond to his baby noises seriously like "Yes, I think so too." and "Really? Are you sure?"

I think that's why he spoke so well so early. There was no baby talk in this house!

I had to remember to touch him just to touch him, nodamene? Not just to change his diaper or give him a bath. I'm not naturally touch feely. I had to grow into that. It was easy with a baby. Not so easy now.

It breaks my heart when he says "Can I have a hug?" because I remember asking the same question of my mother.

I remember my dad giving me ONE (1) hug when I was 14 and this was after he knew he was dying.

So even when I don't want to be touched, I give The Boy a hug.

But I'm much better at roughhousing, LOL.

Evan used to be sooooooooooooooo sensitive. I just knew he'd get bullied. So I started roughhousing with him because there is no male influence in the house. I wanted him to know how to fight & take care of himself.

Now I can't stop it. *sigh*

But if the only physical interaction he gets is when I'm cutting his hair or something, I guess he'll take what he can get.

Poor kid.

Which is better? A mom who's all over you with hugs and kisses when you're 13 or a mom who punches you in the butt when you walk by?

:-)

It doesn't matter.

The Punching Mom is what he's got.


Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog