Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Am I the only one?

I recorded VH1's Storytellers - Mary J. Blige

Am I the only one who thinks she can't sing live?

She is ALWAYS flat.

I've seen her on the Grammys & other award shows.

Every time, people in the audience (like Elton John) are like "She killed it!"

No.

Why is everyone, apparently, hearing something that I'm not hearing???

I think she must need a lot of help in the studio. She does make some awesome tracks. A few of my favorites are "Just Fine", "Family Affair" and "Real Love".

But even when she does those songs live, she sounds flat.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the show. I liked hearing the stories behind them. I like her personality.

I just want to hear her AFTER the producers have fixed it all up.

She's not the only one. A lot of people suck live.

But Mariah Carey does not (I still listen to her Unplugged CD). Amy Winehouse doesn't enunciate, but she's on pitch (when she's not high). Prince can sing live. (I just don't like the way he changes the songs all the time.)

Mary J. is just the only one I can think of right now because she's the last performer I've seen "live".

But a lot of these singers get off pitch when they start trying to be Aretha Franklin or somebody.

Stop.doing.that!

Sing the damned song. Nothing fancy. Your "friends" (whose salary you are doubtless paying) will tell you that you were awesome. A lot of your fans think you can do no wrong.

But I won't lie to you.

You don't even have to pay me to tell the truth.

I know you make your real money on tour, but you need to invest some of that money into singing lessons.

Seriously.

----------------
Listening to: Prince & The Revolution - Mountains
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog