Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tackle it Tuesday - Part 2



I did it.

It was hard, LOL.

I didn't get to sleep until almost 10 this morning. Well, YESTERDAY, technically. But then I woke up every effing hour to go to the bathroom. Then Mommy Dearest came over today at 12 to take Evan out to lunch. (He has Spring Break this week).

Then I couldn't get back to sleep.

So I finished about half the book. Fell asleep. Started having the weirdest dream that Evan had come home and I couldn't answer him. In the dream, I was SCREAMING in my head but all that came out was "mmmmmm" (Sometimes people with Multiple Sclerosis have something that's like paralysis where they can't react visually/audibly to the people around them. I forget what it's called. It usually happens when they get overheated. I've had so many times when I'm TRYING to speak or move and nothing happens. And of course that gets you upset, which doesn't help. But that's a story for another day.) Anyway, when I finally got my eyes open, it had only been about 10 minutes, LOL.

I got up, ate breakfast, and read some more.

Then my mother brought The Boy back at 7pm and stayed until 8.... *sigh* (Totally cutting into my reading time, irked me to no end. I was a woman on a mission!! I thought he was going to spend the night he was gone for so long...)

Whatever.

I LOVED the book. It's a sequel (of sorts) to Odd Thomas.

Odd Thomas, the main character's name, is a youngish (I think he's in his 20s) guy who sees dead people. One of the ghosts that he sees regularly is Elvis.

Anywhoo, one day the father of his BFF (Danny) shows up in his bedroom. So Odd assumes that he's dead (the father, not the BFF). He goes to the Danny's house, finds the father dead and his BFF missing and he sets out on a mission to find him. His BFF has that "Brittle Bone" condition, Osteogenesis Imperfecta. So of course Odd's worried about him.

That's where he meets Datura. She is described as "... a syphilitic suicide bomber with mad cow disease." HA! I think that's an accurate description of Datura. She's a crazy woman who thinks she's an Invincible Supernatural Adept (or something). Seriously sociopathic. More insane than Jeffrey Dahmer.

One of the things about Dean Koontz (and Stephen King) that I love is that he can totally gross me out in one sentence, and then have me laughing out loud the next.

At one point, Odd is hiding from the bad guys in a storm drain. He starts imagining really horrible ghosties/apparitions are coming for him. He writes:

"...my imagination spins into vortexes darker than any yours has ever visited.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure you've got a fabulously dark, twisted, and perhaps even deeply sick imagination. I'm not trying to devalue the dementedness of your imagination and do not mean to diminish your pride in it."


LOL! Because, really, I was thinking "He doesn't know how twisted my mind is..." and then I read that. :-)

Thank you, Mr. Koontz, for not trying to diminish the pride I have in my sick and twisted imagination, LMAO!

I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars because:
1. I can
2. Dean Koontz is a great thriller writer
3. There's a great M. Night Shyamalan "twist" at the end of the book that I wasn't expecting AT ALL. :-)

I recommend this book to thriller/mystery lovers whole heartedly.

Now I'm off to go visit the other Tackle it Tuesday participants.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I am going to keep an eye out for this book. It sounds like something I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the review:) I love the exept. Anything self-referential or addressed to readers in books tickles me and gives me great giggles. So post-modern...lol

    I used to read Dean Koontz fanatically, and then the books became really formulaic and I got major burn-out. This series seems really intriguing, and your review clenched it- gotta get it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really, really liked the first one Odd Thomas and I liked Forever Odd quite a bit too. Odd is one of my all-time favorite fictional characters too.

    I like almost all of Dean Koontz's books, in fact he's one of my top five or so favorite authors. I loved Intensity (it lived up to it's name), Strangers (the first one of his I ever read, still a big favorite, and From The Corner Of His Eye (totally wild imaginative book) and have read them a couple of times over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog