Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Movie Review

H

ere's a review of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)

Starring: Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman, Lana Turner
Director: Victor Fleming
Genre: Drama Horror Sci-Fi
Plot: from IMDb "Dr. Jekyll allows his dark side to run wild when he drinks a potion that turns him into the evil Mr. Hyde."
Should you see it? Um...sure?
Rating (out of 5 hearts): ♥♥♥
My Comments: I watched it because I always end up watching Jekyll & Hyde movies. I also watched it because the only Spencer Tracy movie I remember is "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner".

It starts out with Dr. Jekyll trying to convince his colleagues that he can treat an "insane" man and persuading people that evil can be cured. He's engaged to Lana Turner. She really doesn't have a big part in the movie. It gets interesting when Beatrix (Turner) is out of town with her father & Dr. Jekyll takes a potion he's made and turns into Hyde.

Hyde goes to a local speakeasy (?) and sets his sights on Ivy (Bergman). Everyone is instantly afraid of Hyde. He just looks evil/insane.

Hyde gives Ivy a bunch of money and then takes her to her apartment and proceeds to torture and terrorize her for weeks. Ivy is afraid to leave Hyde because she believes that he will find her and kill her.

It took me a while to see the difference between Jekyll and Hyde physically, LOL. I'm not that familiar with how Spencer Tracy is supposed to look. It wasn't until they showed the metamorphosis from one character to another that I "believed" that people could see the two personalities and not think that they were the same man.

I guess he did a good job? I don't know. I suppose he did because I was fascinated enough by how crazy Tracy's Hyde was to keep watching.

I don't know. Watch it if you're a Hyde junkie like me, I guess.

Here's the scene when Hyde first sees Ivy


----------------
Now playing: Katy Perry - Hot 'N Cold via FoxyTunes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog