Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Wanted & Hancock Reviews - PG13 with spoilers

O

nce again, I find myself with nothing about which to write, so I'm going to go ahead and do quick reviews for Hancock & Wanted.


Wanted
Starring: Morgan Freeman, Angelina Jolie, Common
Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Genre: Action Thriller
Plot from IMDb: A frustrated office worker learns that he is the son of a professional assassin, and that he shares his father's superhuman killing abilities.
Should you see it? YES!
Rating (out of 5 hearts): ♥♥♥♥♥
My Comments: It is kind of a mix of Fight Club (which I love) and Batman Begins (for the training sequences). I really liked this movie because I was not sitting there thinking "No way could that happen!" I was just enjoying the action. I've watched it multiple times since getting it. I can't wait to see if MythBusters does a "Curve a bullet" myth on their show! The last action scene is AWESOME. The very last scene is hella good too! Ok, the whole movie kicks ass, but the last 10 minutes are the best I've seen in a while. :-)

Hancock
Starring: Will Smith, Jason Bateman, Charlize Theron
Director: Peter Berg (I love his movies!)
Genre: Action Comedy Fantasy Thriller
Plot from IMDb: There are heroes. There are superheroes. And then there's...
Should you see it? Yes
Rating (out of 5 hearts): ♥♥♥½
My Comments: I knew that Hancock was a drunkard who happened to have super human abilities. I wasn't quite expecting this. I enjoyed the action scenes in the beginning. The score really fit the movie in those scenes. I enjoyed it less when they got into the mythology of Hancock's character. And, I was pulled out of the movie by thinking "BullSHIT. There's no way."

Stop reading here if you haven't seen it, because there are going to be spoilers.

So, we find out in the movie that Charlize Theron's character & Smith's character were part of a "pair" of "gods" created at the same time. They'd been together for over 3000 years or something.

...

Excuse me, but if Will Smith was around 3,000 years ago, wouldn't he be darker? I mean seriously. We American blacks are the color that we are because of race mixing. If you can pass the paper bag test, you have some white in your family somewhere. Also, there's no way that Will Smith would be walking around with Charlize Theron in Miami in 1920. Even if you are a superhero, black people didn't do whatever the hell they wanted in the freaking 20s.

If Hancock was alive before America was even born, where did they live? Why don't they have accents? Will Smith got the job because he's box office gold. I don't think people necessarily care if he "fits" what the character is supposed to be representing. Good for him. Bad for people like me who watch movies and need to be distracted by awesome action to be able to not think for 90 minutes.

Once the movie got to the exposition, I stopped enjoying it fully. I think I've watched it once all the way through. A couple of times I just watched the first half of the movie and fell asleep to the rest.

It's not bad. It just required too much "suspension of disbelief" on my part to enjoy it fully.

Jason Bateman was great, though (The "Good Job" scene is one of my favorites). And I will continue to see movies directed by Peter Berg because I like his style.


4 comments:

  1. Great assessment of both movies! I had many of the same issues, concerns about Hancock. If all they said was true then why was Charlize Theron so mad (in a virtual rage) when he popped back into her life. If she left him for both of their safety then why was she mad at him? I also wondered about the black white thing. Oh Well, Will is the golden goose so, whatever!
    Wanted was awesome! I love Jolie in action movies! I heard that that was suppose to be a black woman in her role but I can not think of any black actress who could have made that as believable as Jolie!
    I think I'll pop wanted in now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina - Thanks! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who had "issues" with Hancock.

    I watched "Wanted" again last night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen Wanted yet, sounds like we need to buy it or rent it. We took our son to see Hancock and he loved it! The DVD may wind up being a Christmas present?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy - BUY Wanted.

    If you already know your son loved Hancock, why not get it as a gift? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog