Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)


I

haven't seen the remake with Keanu Reeves yet, obviously. The original came on the other day, so I watched it. Here's a quick review.

Starring: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe
Director: Robert Wise
Genre: Sci-Fi Drama Thriller
Plot from IMDb: An alien lands and tells the people of Earth that they must live peacefully or be destroyed as a danger to other planets.
Should you see it? Yes
Rating (out of 5 hearts): ♥♥♥♥
My Comments: I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It was 1951, after all. There was no CGI back then (I'm sure you didn't realize that...). But after the first few minutes, I didn't even think about how weird the robot looked, LOL. The story is engaging and is still relevant today. Which, I suppose, is why they did a remake.

I was distracted by Hugh Marlowe. His face reminds me of someone else. This happens to me all the time, but usually I can find out by reading the bio who their children are and that's usually a name I recognize. No such luck today. :-(

Anyway, see this one before you go see the shiny new version!




3 comments:

  1. Klaatu barada nikto!

    My partner went to go see the remake with my daughter and her brother and sister.

    Sadly, she said they DID NOT use the infamous line (quoted above) from the original.

    Now I am glad I didn't go along with them. I always hate when they make remakes that leave out the "classic" parts of the original.

    Not only that, she said Keanu Reeves played the part that Hugh Marlow played in the original. I'm sorry, but I would have been laughing so hard they would have had to throw me out of the theater.

    http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola - All the reviews I've read for the remake have been bad. I'll see it when it comes out on DVD anyway, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the remake! Was Hugh on SNL good? I have Stephen Fry on my Twitter following so we had a bit of an update before it about how he was watching from the wings!

    There's a blackadder reunion show on over Christmas! It's going to be nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog