Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)


I

haven't seen the remake with Keanu Reeves yet, obviously. The original came on the other day, so I watched it. Here's a quick review.

Starring: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe
Director: Robert Wise
Genre: Sci-Fi Drama Thriller
Plot from IMDb: An alien lands and tells the people of Earth that they must live peacefully or be destroyed as a danger to other planets.
Should you see it? Yes
Rating (out of 5 hearts): ♥♥♥♥
My Comments: I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It was 1951, after all. There was no CGI back then (I'm sure you didn't realize that...). But after the first few minutes, I didn't even think about how weird the robot looked, LOL. The story is engaging and is still relevant today. Which, I suppose, is why they did a remake.

I was distracted by Hugh Marlowe. His face reminds me of someone else. This happens to me all the time, but usually I can find out by reading the bio who their children are and that's usually a name I recognize. No such luck today. :-(

Anyway, see this one before you go see the shiny new version!




Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog