Monday, November 10, 2008

Dear White People

H

ave you been watching the news?

Have you heard black people ALL OVER AMERICA saying that we never expected to see a black man elected as president in our lifetimes?

Let me say that again:

We never expected to see a black man elected as president in our lifetime.


For the most part, we (black & whites) get along in our day to day lives. But I, as a black person, have never really believed that you white people could get past the racial stereotypes and just see us as "people" and not "black people".

Forget party. That's what Barack Obama's election means to me. That white people are finally getting past this thinking of us as "less than".

But maybe y'all really didn't? Maybe you weren't mostly thinking of us in that way?

And that's the root of racism and bigotry. WE (black people) don't know what YOU (white people) really think of us. So we have to assume. History has shown what you think of us and, until now, nothing has happened to make us change our core beliefs about you.

I don't think I'm saying this right.

Barack Obama's election is not just history making. It's spirit changing.

Maybe now we can start to see each other as individuals. This means: "A man who happens to be black" and "A woman who happens to be white" instead of "A black man" and "A white woman".

When I was in college, one of my roommates, who happened to be white, told me that she didn't think of race.

I didn't believe her. As a black person, I didn't see how it was even possible to not think of race.

Have you ever noticed that when you walk into a conference room or cafeteria that all the black people seem to be grouped together? We do this to ourselves because seeing someone else who looks likes us makes us feel comfortable.

I had to get over this because my father was in the military. We moved every 3 years, and we were often the only black family where ever we went. I was often the only black child in my grade at school.

For white people, I represented the entire black race because I was the only black person they'd ever met.

!!!!!!!

Nevermind.

You can't understand this from my perspective.

But I'm proud of you, White America! This doesn't change or erase the past, but we can finally begin healing our racial wounds and come together as people

----------------
Listening to: Eric Clapton - Change The World via FoxyTunes
.


Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog