Sunday, February 24, 2008

Equus

Remember last year sometime when we all heard that "Harry Potter" was nude in a play?

Well, I was curious. Naturally. It kind of makes me feel like a pervert, because he's like 18 years old. But LOOK at this picture. He's hot. Even though I saw him grow up. *shudder.*

Whatever.

TCM is having 30 days of Oscar Movies (or maybe it's AMC?). Anyway, I was looking at the schedule and I happened to see "Equus". So I thought I'd watch it.

This is the first time I've ever understood when actors say that they do nude scenes because it was 'essential to the role'. I always assumed it was just a bullshit excuse for showing T & A.

But the nude scenes in this movie were NOT sexual. (Yes, they showed the nude scenes. They even let a couple of F-bombs drop unbleeped.) Not that they weren't sexual for the character, but they didn't turn me on or make me uncomfortable. I guess that's what I mean.

The info for the movie said "A tortured psychiatrist (Richard Burton) treats a patient (Peter Firth) who blinds 6 horses with a metal spike." So I probably would have watched it anyway, even if I'd never heard of it before.

It was an interesting movie.

The subject matter was...unique, LOL.

The boy Alan Strang, worked at a stable for months and one day blinded 6 horses & was found naked by the stable owner. Instead of jail or a mental hospital, they sent him to see Dr. Martin Dysart.

What was interesting (one of the things, anyway) is that at certain points, Dysart is having a conversation with the camera. Describing how he feels treating this boy. Describing how dissatisfied he is with his marriage/career/life.

I would recommend this movie if you like "artsy fartsy" type movies. I don't know if it's supposed to be a drama or a suspense movie. But it is definitely suspenseful. We keep finding out secrets about Alan from his parents, people who worked at the stable, Alan's own admissions while supposedly under hypnosis or recording a tape for Dr. Dysart. (Dr. Dysart tells Alan that some patients find it easier/less embarassing to tell their deepest, darkest secrets when they are alone & give him the tape to listen to when they aren't there.)

I honestly don't know how I would react if this same thing happened to Evan. If he blinded 6 horses for some twisted reason. How would I feel? Would I blame myself? Could I blame anyone else?

These are the questions that were brought up for ME. And Alan's parents. They both seem ashamed & embarrassed by their son's actions. (They are 2 extremely uptight people, let me tell you.)

The average rating on Amazon.com for this movie (released in 1977) was 4 stars.

I'd give it about that.

If you see it on your TV schedule, definitely check it out.

----------------
Listening to: Prince - Shockadelica
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. :-)

I will reply to comments made on my blog ON MY BLOG.

Comments not made in ENGLISH will be deleted.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog