Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Clash of the Choirs

I've been watching that show.

For those of you who don't know, celebrities picked out a choir from people in their home towns and are competing for $250,000 for a charity in their home town.

Patti Labelle - Philadelphia, PA
Nick Lachey - Cincinnati, OH
Michael Bolton - New Haven, CT
Blake Shelton - Oklahoma City, OK
Kelly Rowland - Houston, TX

Right out of the gate, I thought Patti Labelle should win it. Her choir is the most traditional of the choirs.

I also thought Nick Lachey's choir was a little too show tuney/boy bandish. They have choreography. It's a singing competition. It's nice if they all sway the same way, but I really don't need to see anything that looks like it should be in a musical on Broadway.

Anyway, tonight's show was phenomenal!

The 3 remaining choirs sang 3 songs each. One was a Christmas Carol & one was the celebrity's more popular songs.

Patti's choir did "Over the rainbow" with her singing lead. I told Evan before she started "Watch, she's going to do the 'bird dance' and kick off her shoes at some point." She didn't let me down, LOL. I think Patti singing "Over the rainbow" is one of the most iconic tv memories I have from childhood. She ALWAYS kills it. (Beyonce did a beautiful job singing it when she did it for the "Movies Rock" special last week, or whenever, BTW)

Nick's did "What's left of me" with him singing lead. I zapped through it. It's a decent song, but I didn't need to hear it, LOL.

Blake's did "This can't be good" from his latest album. I listened long enough to hear one verse & the chorus & then zapped. He's my favorite of the celebrities, BTW. I'd never heard of him before this, but he is really funny and a bit of a smart ass. I always look forward to his comments after the performances.

The BEST performance tonight had to be Team Lachey doing an a capella performance of "Flight of the Bumblebee". If you haven't heard that song, it's extremely fast. I imagine it's difficult to play on an instrument, but singing it?!?! Incredible. It gave me chills. Before that performance, I thought Nick would be the next to go. After it, I think Ms Labelle has some major competition.

I hope someone will upload it to youtube. It was sooooooo good.

I'm off to vote. 5 for Nick, 5 for Patti. :-)

Team Labelle singing "He's got the whole world in his hands". This will take you back to church! My favorite part comes in at about 1:46 in the video.




----------------
Listening to: Ice Cube - You know how we do it
via FoxyTunes

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Search This Blog